Translate This Page
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for St Edmunds Cottage
St Edmunds Cottage is a brick built detached cottage, previously a Victorian bakery, dating back to the early 19th century and has been fully refurbished to make it a truly home from home. The cottage is in a secluded spot about 40m above Wells Road on a hill but with a gradual approach through the gardens via a tarmac drive.
St Edmunds Cottage sleeps up to 4 people and has 2 bedrooms, one double and two single, both upstairs and a modern shower and toilet on the ground floor. The cottage has a kitchen with a breakfast bar with an open plan seating area leading to the rose garden through a conservatory.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone +44 (0)1458 830461 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the contact details on our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcard and ours, which is BA6 9BS to get directions.
- The nearest railway station is Castle Cary which is 14.2 miles (22.9 km). Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see contact information for details. Bristol Temple Mead railway station is 30 miles and takes about one and half hour on the bus number 376 direct. The Manor House Road bus stop is immediately outside the cottage entrance on Wells Road. Bus times may vary at weekends, public holidays but see details on the bus operator website: http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/
- The main road outside has paved pavements on both sides and there is a postbox and public telephone opposite the entrance.
- The nearest shopping is the Coop supermarket in the High Street about ten minutes walk from the cottage. There is also a butcher (Stephens), baker (Burns) and several newsagents in the High Street.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- The property has electric gates which are left open in preparation of your arrival. Two sets of keys are provided for the cottage both with key fobs to open the electrical gates.
- The keys can be collected from the owner’s property, in St Edmunds House, which is on site immediately opposite the cottage. If you are unable to come to the house we can arrange to either bring the key out to you in the car park, or meet you at the cottage.
- Parking is available for 2 cars in the car park area, immediately adjacent to the front door of the cottage.
- The parking area has a tarmac surface as is the walkway leading to the cottage. Luggage can be unloaded from your car via the front entrance.
- This area is well lit at night by motion sensor lights both on the driveway, outside the cottage and in the parking area.
Entrance to Property
- The front door entrance from the driveway has 1 step - 10 cm high, 35 cm deep, 115 cm wide. The entrance door is 83.5 cm wide.
- The entrance is lit by a motion sensor light.
- The floor covering inside the entrance is wood oak flooring with mats both inside and outside the entrance.
- The front door opens into an open plan kitchen/lounge 415 cm by 353 cm. There is a light switch immediately inside the entrance on the left side with a second dimmer switch on the opposite wall leading to the stairway.
- A second entrance to the cottage is provided via the double french doors into the conservatory.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The hall leading to the shower and toilet, the stairs and landing are well lit with ceiling lights.
- The hallway from the kitchen/lounge has a 75cm wide door leading to corridor 225 cm long by 93cm wide.
- There are two light switches on the left wall one for the corridor and one for the stairway.
- A door on the left leads to the shower and toilet.
- The floor covering in the corridor is beige carpeting which continues up the 14 stairway steps to the bedrooms. The 14 steps are 18cm high, 24cm deep and 71cm wide. There is a hand rail on the left hand side to aid in climbing the stairs.
- On the right hand side of the hallway there is a fire extinguisher, vacuum cleaner and moveable drying frame. There is also a coat rack on the wall.
- The lounge is situated on the ground floor with level entry from the hallway in an open plan layout with the kitchen.
- The door opening to the lounge is 750cm wide.
- The room has high backed electric recliner chairs with non-feather cushions together with a low coffee table between them.
- Furniture can be moved.
- There is a widescreen digital television with remote control, subtitles, and a DVD and video player.
- There is a mini hi-fi with CD player and radio.
- Additional electrical sockets are available for laptops, iPod, mobile recharging with access also to free wifi. Wifi access details and passwords are provided.
- Lighting is natural daylight and by night levels are controlled by a dimmer switch, with overhead lighting used as well as a standard/reading lamp in the room.
- A round central column pine dining table (105cm) with four chairs is provided in the conservatory which 4.25m long by 3.0m wide which is accessed via a level floor from the the lounge and open plan kitchen through double french doors (116cm wide).
- A heavy curtain between the kitchen/lounge and conservatory can be drawn across the see through french doors.
- A three seater settee and a high backed arm chair with coffee/ drinks tables are also provided in the conservatory.
- Window blinds are provided all round the periphary of the conservatory for both sunlight and privacy.
- Books, reading materials covering local services, tourist attractions, Glastonbury information, etc.
- A large fridge/freezer is also located in the conservatory to supplement the smaller one in the kitchen.
- The conservatory floor consist of non-slip natural slate tiling of contrasting colour, coupled with a light Berber carpet (100% wool) in the centre.
- There is a remote control for the lights and fan in the conservatory.
- There are double french doors (119cm wide) from the conservatory down steps into the rose garden.
- The kitchen as part of the open plan kitchen/loung is 415cm long by 353cm wide.
- An L shaped pine kitchen fitted unit is provided with a two seat breakfast bar 65cm wide 150cm long).
- The kitchen units have a worktop height of 90cm.
- The oven door is drop down and the height of the lowest shelf is 41cm.
- Sink is 91cm high with 75cm clear height under space(38cm wide).
- Even lit kitchen with under cabinet lighting with good contrast between floors, cupboards and work surfaces.
- Built in fridge/freezer, to complement larger one in conservatory. Highest shelf in fridge is 87cm and lowest in freezer is 95cm.
- Large cutlery and utensils drawer built into unites.
- All cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, glass ware plus knife wood block provided.
- Coffee percolator, electric kettle, coffee cafetiere (2 sizes).
- Iron and ironing board.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- Both bedrooms are on the first floor and have beige carpet flooring.
- Both bedrooms have a 75cm wide door entrance. The double bedroom is 383cm by 270cm and the singles 370cm by 350 cm. There is a light switch inside each bedroom on the right hand side.
- The bedrooms are linked by a landing corridor at the top of the stairs 200cm long by 120cm wide.
- The double bedroom has a memory foam bed recommended by Which as do the two single beds in the second bedroom.
- The height of the beds from the floor is 50cm.
- Both bedrooms have washbasins with mirrors and anti-condensation cabinets with sensor switches, shaving points and towel rails.
- Both bedrooms have bedside tables with bedside lamps and clock radio's.
- Torches are provided in the bedside table drawers.
- Wardrobes, chairs and clothing cabinet/drawers are provided in each of the bedrooms.
- Sheets, duvets covers, pillow cases are 100% cotton and double duvet is down filled and the singles are wool filled.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- The bathroom consists of a shower, washbasin/cabinet, anti-condensation cabinet and toilet.
- The room has a 75cm step free entrance door with a pull light cord for the central light, extractor and shower lights.
- The shower entrance is 59cm wide
- The toilet seat height is 44cm.
- An electrical towel rail with thermostat control os provided.
- The anti condensation cabinet has a sensor light switch and shaving point.
- The shower has a grab rail on the back wall.
- The flooring is non slip heavy duty linoleum.
- The garden primarily consists of a rose garden with grass borders which can be accessed down three steps from the conservatory. Alternatively the garden can be accessed from the front door and down the drive.
- One side of the garden consists of a high red brick wall with shrubs the other flower beds adjacent to the driveway.
- The foot of the garden faces the gatehouse wall with shrubs and fig trees.
- There is a wooden bench with seats and a BBQ in the centre of the garden.
- All areas in the cottage have good colour contrast between the floor, doors and walls. Generally, doors and doorframes are dark wood and walls are light in colour.
- The mobile phone reception is good and wifi is also good.
- The nearest General Hospital with an A&E unit and walk in NHS is 1 mile away at the bottom of Wells Road and the nearest Doctor’s surgery is half a mile away. Further information is in the welcome folder.
- There is also a list of nearby attractions and details of their Access Statements for information, where available.
- We are planning a review of our website next year to make it more accessible, your comments are welcome to assist us with this project.
- Our website will feature a virtual tour ofSt Edmunds Cottage from this spring.
- We are planning to join the National Accessible Scheme to gain a rating for those people with limited mobility and hearing and visual impairments.
Address (Inc postcode):
Jeannette & Rupert HEYGATE-BROWNE, St Edmunds Cottage, 26 Wells Road, Glastonbury, Somerset BA6 9BS
+44 (0)1458 830461
ST 50161 39356
Hours Of Operation:
24 hours (owners live on site)
Street & Glastonbury Carers Support Group Address Street Parish Rooms 6 Leigh Road Street Somerset BA16 0HA
Local Equipment Hire:
Avalon Mobility Avalon Mobility Trading as HMS Mobility Solutions Ltd is a family run business located in Butleigh, Nr. Glastonbury, Somerset, BA6 8SN. http://www.avalonmobility.co.uk/wheelchairhire.html email@example.comE-mail:
Local Accessible Taxi:
ABC Private Hire - Glastonbury 07747 012862 CJW Taxis - Glastonbury 01458 833106 D.N.A Taxis - Glastonbury 0770 9633561 Glastonbury Taxis 0844 330 2531
Local Public Transport:
First Group http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/